Docent-guided visits allow students to form meaningful connections with works of art through close looking and interactive gallery experiences, including sketching, writing, group discussion, and more. Led by trained volunteers, these visits encourage critical and creative thinking while addressing all learning styles. A typical docent-guided visit includes five to six works of art. Guided visits are presented appropriately for each group’s grade level and subject interest and are aligned with Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills.
Special Exhibition Tours
Mind's Eye: Masterworks on Paper from David to Cézanne Recommended for grades 4-12; limited to 30 students. Works by artists such as Edgar Degas, Paul Cézanne, Vincent van Gogh, Edouard Manet, Jacques-Louis David, Théodore Géricault, and Eugène Delacroix are brought together from the Dallas Museum of Art’s collection, as well as from several private collections. Mind’s Eye offers new insights into the working methods and practices of these artists, providing an intimate view of their approach to art making while also presenting the drawings and watercolors as finished works of art in their own right. Tours offered July 1 - October 26, 2014.
Docent-Guided Visit Topics for Summer 2014
Kindergarten-5th Grade Visits
- Animal Safari Limited to 30 students. Students will set off on a safari to search for animals in works of art. They will think about how animals look and what they may mean and symbolize in works of art from all over the world.
- Summer Vacation Limited to 30 students. Students will travel the world without ever leaving the Dallas Museum of Art! They will think about how they spend their summer vacation and make connections between their favorite summer activities and those they see in works of art.
K-12 Self-Guided Visits
The Museum provides opportunities for self-guided groups to independently explore the Museum’s collection and special exhibitions. Teachers are encouraged to visit the Museum prior to their student group visit, as galleries and the artworks on view change throughout the year.
- Explore the Museum’s collection with self-guided tour guides.
- Visit DMA.mobi to access the Museum's smARTphone tour in the galleries or in your classroom.
- Take advantage of the wealth of teaching resources available online.
- Attend a Teacher Workshop!